Question

I noticed that when the function setModel is executed in parallel thread (I tried threading.Timer or threading.thread), I get this:

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
(Parent is QHeaderView(0x1c93ed0), parent's thread is QThread(0xb179c0), current thread is QThread(0x23dce38)
QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started from another thread
QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
(Parent is QTreeView(0xc65060), parent's thread is QThread(0xb179c0), current thread is QThread(0x23dce38)
QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started from another thread

Is there any way to solve this?

Was it helpful?

Solution

It is indeed a fact of life that multithreaded use of Qt (and other rich frameworks) is a delicate and difficult job, requiring explicit attention and care -- see Qt's docs for an excellent coverage of the subject (for readers experienced in threading in general, with suggested readings for those who yet aren't).

If you possibly can, I would suggest what I always suggest as the soundest architecture for threading in Python: let each subsystem be owned and used by a single dedicated thread; communicate among threads via instances of Queue.Queue, i.e., by message passing. This approach can be a bit restrictive, but it provides a good foundation on which specifically identified and carefully architected exceptions (based on thread pools, occasional new threads being spawned, locks, condition variables, and other such finicky things;-). In the latter category I would also classify Qt-specific things such as cross-thread signal/slot communication via queued connections.

OTHER TIPS

Looks like you've stumped on a Qt limitation there. Try using signals or events if you need objects to communicate across threads.

Or ask the Qt folk about this. It doesn't seem specific to PyQt.

Licensed under: CC-BY-SA with attribution
Not affiliated with StackOverflow
scroll top